5 Best Harnesses for Dog Walking
Whether you got a new dog or you’re looking for a better way to walk your dog, the harness makes a lot of difference. Dogs usually try to pull away from the harness and wander into regions where you shouldn’t let them go. And that’s where the dog harness is so useful. But you need to find a harness that doesn’t choke your dog’s windpipe or strain their spine. Many dog owners use a choke-chain but you shouldn’t do that. Instead, buy a comfortable harness so that when your dog pulls you to go to another dog, the harness doesn’t choke her.
While harnesses are available in a variety of colors, it is the design and style that you should keep an eye on. How does the harness fit on your dog? Harnesses suitable for bigger dogs like German Shepherds or Pit Bulls aren’t necessarily a good choice for some of the smaller breeds like poodles or Australian terrier. Wondering which harness is best for your dog? Here’s a guide that can help.
Also read: How to put on a dog harness?
1. Rabbitgoo No-Pull Pet Harness (Best Overall)
Is your dog too excited when she goes out for a walk? She can’t seem to control her joy when she sees her furry friends in the neighbourhood. But you need to keep her under control too since there are lots of careless drivers around. And the Rabbitgoo No-Pull Pet Harness is the perfect companion for her daily walk. Its no-pull design gives you better control as you can attach the leash to the front clip. The padded air mesh is safe for dogs with sensitive skin. This no pull dog harness also comes with a sturdy top handle that allows you to keep your dog within your reach.
Pros of the Rabbitgoo No-Pull Pet Harness (Best Overall)
- They are available in four sizes, so you can pick one according to the size of your dog.
- The non-pulling harness comes with 2 metal leash rings that prevent your dog from pulling the leash.
- There are 4 adjustable straps that provide the perfect fit for your dog’s neck.
Cons of the Rabbitgoo No-Pull Pet Harness (Best Overall)
- It may seem a little bulky for some of the smaller dogs.
With impeccable features, this should be your go-to harness if you still haven’t bought one.
2. Kruz Reflective Dual Layered Mesh Dog Harness (Best Value for Money)
This form-fitting vest harness provides ultra-comfort to your dog. It doesn’t create any pressure around the neck by evenly distributing the weight through its shoulders and chest. The mesh harness is lightweight, soft, and breathable. It fits better than the harnesses made with polyester or nylon fabric. It keeps your dog cool and ventilated even when you take her out during the scorching summer heat. The chest harness comes with a tri-glide style, allowing you to adjust the strap according to the girth of your dog’s neck. This not only gives you better control but also prevents her from pulling the leash frequently.
Pros of the Kruz Reflective Dual Layered Mesh Dog Harness (Best Value for Money)
- The heavy-duty D-ring makes the harness suitable for both small and big dogs.
- The quick-release plastic buckle allows you to open the harness quickly as soon as you come home.
- It is suitable for those who want a simple, elegant harness without spending a fortune.
Cons of the Kruz Reflective Dual Layered Mesh Dog Harness (Best Value for Money)
• It doesn’t have too many color variations.
This harness has all the features you expect from a high-quality harness but doesn’t cost a lot. Go for it if you love value-for-money products.
3. PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness (Best Basic Harness)
If you are buying a harness for the first time and don’t want to get into the complications of too many straps and belts, then buy PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness. Recommended by pets and dog trainers, this harness rests on your dog’s chest instead of its throat. This means your dog won’t choke even if it pulls at the leash. The Martingale loop prevents twisting and turning of your dog while walking and also provides relaxed control.
Pros of the PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness (Best Basic Harness)
- It comes with a 1-year replacement warranty for a minimal fee in case your dog chews the harness away while playing.
- There are 8 sizes to choose from. That means you can not only buy it for a Chihuahua but also for bigger dog breeds.
- It is safe for all types of dogs as vets recommend this product.
Cons of the PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness (Best Basic Harness)
- Price is on the higher side if you consider its overall construction.
This is the simplest dog harness suitable for first-time users. You can understand how to use it just by looking at the harness.
4. Kurgo Dog Walking Harness (Best for Car Rides)
Are you looking for a dog harness that can help your pet under control while you are driving? If you do, the Kurgo Dog Walking Harness is the best that you can buy right now. The lightweight material and five adjustable points with quick-release buckles make it easy for you to take the harness on or off while taking your dog for a ride. There is a 10-inch tether seat belt that restrains your dog to its position while riding.
Also check out: Best Dog Car Harness
Pros of the Kurgo Dog Walking Harness (Best for Car Rides)
- It comes with a lifetime warranty against any type of manufacturing defect.
- The D-ring with leash attachment also allows you to use the harness while training your dog.
- The size is suitable for small and medium-sized dogs.
Cons of the Kurgo Dog Walking Harness (Best for Car Rides)
- There aren’t too many colors to choose from.
This is a simple, easy-to-use harness that you can use for training, walking, and while taking your dog on a ride.
5. ThinkPet Reflective Breathable Harness (For Small Dogs)
Sometimes, small dog owners don’t want to invest in expensive harnesses that are suitable for all types of dogs. Instead, they look for harnesses that are specially meant for small dogs. The ThinkPet Reflective Breathable Harness is just what you need for your small pet. Its breathable texture doesn’t irritate the skin of your dog. Most importantly, this small dog harness is lightweight and your dog won’t feel a thing once you put it on.
Pros of the ThinkPet Reflective Breathable Harness (For Small Dogs)
- The adjustable slide straps allow you to create a custom fit according to your dog’s size.
- The breathable air mesh keeps your dog cool during hot days.
- The secured edges prevent choking if your dog tugs at the leash.
Cons of the ThinkPet Reflective Breathable Harness (For Small Dogs)
- There isn’t any manufacturer’s warranty for this harness.
This is the ideal harness if you have a small dog at home. It is worth every penny you spend, considering the quality of the harness.
With so many varieties to choose from, you shouldn’t have trouble picking the best harness for your dog. Choose one according to the different categories mentioned above, and make walking a fun activity for your pet.